Tower 1

Tower 1
Tower 1: Main tower supporting 50MHz 6M2WLC yagi, 14MHz 5 element yagi and 75m full wave loop.
Please note that all times are in UTC. As such comments relate to the next morning/day AEST unless otherwise stated.

Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Wow what a welcome surprise. Rod ZL3NW reported Kaz K8KS on 6m (50.095MHz CW) and then worked a couple more.

I started CQn on 50.092MHz CW, and while I didn't hear anything, it was great to see the following report by Mike KF8MY on the KST R2 page

Sunday, December 23, 2012

Another step (very small one) towards the DL6WU 1296MHz yagi... mounted the driven element and matching system to the boom. As best I can measure, within 1mm accuracy to being centred.

Now to find some aluminium rod to make the elements and repeat the accuracy!

Saturday, December 22, 2012

Turned the Kenwood TL-922 on today and immediately hear a very loud 'BANG', followed by an immediate loss of power.... and a few choice words!

A check and one of the 15amp fuses had 'evaporated'. Replaced fuse, turned power back on and the amp came to life. A quick test TX, and no output. Input was returning a high SWR on all bands, shutting the FT-1000MP TX down completely.

Opening up the covers revealed (besides a lot of dust) a molten filament choke [very bottom of pic and centre].

Fortunately, a few years ago Graeme VK4FI had given me one "just in case".  A quick trip to the workshop, the dust blown away with compressed air and replacement of the choke was completed. Returned to radio room, powered up, test TX... no high SWR, and amp tuned for full output once again.

Thursday, December 20, 2012

It's feeling like just baby steps are being made towards the install of the 144, 432 and 1296MHz yagis, but as each stage gets ' ticked off' the project completion gets a step closer (funny that!)

Today's focus was measuring and cutting three lengths of LDF4-50 coax for the main coax runs up the tower.

And then fitting the connectors.

Sunday, December 16, 2012

A little more progress made on the first of the DL6WU 36 element 1,296MHz yagis.  The 19.2mm square section boom drilled with pilot holes for the elements.

And the driven element mounting finalised, with 13mm spaces made, and the positioning finalised.

Thursday, December 13, 2012

The UX-910 arrived today from California.. installed in the ICOM IC-910H and running.

Now I just need to complete the 35 element DL6WU yagi for 1296MHz so I can operate!

Tuesday, December 11, 2012

More great progress made on the VHF/UHF station today with the DL6WU yagis for 144MHz and 432MHz advanced significantly.

This essentially involved complete rebuilds on the the driven elements and matching sections with the driven elements replaced by aluminium tube.

One of the 28 element DL6WU 432MHz yagis

The resulting 1.2:1 SWR... and the same result for the second. Very happy!
The two completed 432MHz yagis

The 12 element DL6WU 144MHz yagi

The resulting 1.1:1 SWR

Monday, December 10, 2012

Nice surprise this afternoon to hear Atsu 5W1SA on 6m at 0623z... a quick exchange and contact complete.

Sunday, December 9, 2012

A little more progress on the VHF/UHF station with the driven elements and matching sections for 2 x 1296.1MHz yagis completed today.

Folded dipole, matching section made from UT-141 semi-rigid coax and an N-Type connector.

And finally - two driven elements completed. One for use here at VK4CZ, the other for Field Day use as VK4CZ/P.

Thursday, December 6, 2012

After a 10 year hiatus, I'm returning to 144/432MHz with the addition of an ICOM IC-910H to the shack. This also will mean an entry to 1296MHz (1.2GHz) for the first time.

Whilst the amp for 432MHz is arranged... options for 144MHz now need to be considered!

Saturday, December 1, 2012

With the transport of the new 432MHz amplifier being finalised, it's time to get the antenna system prepared.

I've just resurrected the 28el DL6WU 432MHz yagi. Originally built in approx 1998. This one never saw 'action'. Finalised the driven element and feed resulting in 1.1:1 @ 433.2, and 1.3:1 @ 432.2. This is OK, but want 1.1:1 down another MHz... small tweak required to lengthen the driven element!